Friday, April 26, 2013

My Big Fat Malaysian Wedding, sorta :)

Samson and I just got back from Malaysia yesterday and now that we're back I have a moment to reflect upon our trip and share some experiences with y'all! Since most of his family lives in Malaysia they were unable to attend our wedding in California last year... so I finally got to meet the rest of the extended family during this trip. I was mentally preparing myself for lots of people I don't know, lots of food I've never seen, and a totally new culture to experience!

One of the purposes of our trip was for the family to meet me, the newest addition to their family, and by doing so- celebrating our wedding/marriage 5 months later :) It was pretty opposite from the celebration we had in California in which I planned every detail and hair... in Malaysia I had NO idea what would happen, what to do, what to wear, etc. it was strange but fun!

Here's a brief rendition of "My Big Fat Malaysian" wedding experience!

one of our auntie's bought us a pig... samson had to carry it and said it weighed at least 70 lbs!
cutting the cake, i mean, pig! :)
eating the pig and hanging out with family in my the house that my father-in-law grew up in!
serving tea to members of the family in exchange for lucky red envelopes
what's a chinese malaysian wedding without a banquet of course! we didn't know 78% of the people but it gave our relatives honor and "face" to host and invite their friends and neighbors to come.
after all the food, we thanked our guests for coming.. yep, i don't know this guy :)
don't know her either but it's nice that she came :)
a group picture with family that i DO know and did get to meet :)

It was quite a new experience and hard to not have control over anything at times but somehow it all worked out- even without me doing anything!! After introductions, shaking hands, eating, eating, and more eating and a few pictures in between- we concluded our last wedding celebration!
(p.s. sorry for the lack of blogs recently, it's been a wild month of traveling and with visitors.. thanks for understanding!!)

1 comment:

Laura said...

you're so brave and funny! i really wish i could have been there to help you eat that amazingly huge pig... so thankful you both had such a blessed time!!