Sunday, May 27, 2012

the proposal story

At the beginning of this semester I gave my students a series of topics from the book they can choose from to talk about this semester Naturally, love and weddings were one of those topics that they wanted to learn about. I assumed we'd talk about it once I was engaged and then I could share about my proposal, wedding plans, and so on with them as well. Months went by and I still was not engaged. I was waiting and learning what it means to submit my plans/timing and trust Him. The semester was quickly coming to an end so I decided to go ahead to teach about love, dating, relationships, and weddings- regardless if I was engaged or not.

Friday, May 18th was my last class to teach about promises, proposals, weddings, and all that jazz. One of my teammates was going to observe me and record my class on video to refer to for later, so I thought I'd wear a nicer shirt and straighten my hair for the camera's sake. The last half of class I had them break up into groups to dress up a "bride" with toilet paper and then we chose the most beautiful bride for the mock wedding ceremony at the end of class. The music was playing (the only wedding-like song I had was 'Canon in D'), the groom and his best man were waiting in the front of the class, the flower girl was walking down the small classroom aisle beautifully tossing her imaginary flowers... then the door opens!

There I see Samson, dressed in a shirt and tie, holding a dozen red roses, and followed by a posse of friends and teammates with cameras. I covered my mouth in complete shock and kept wondering- is this really happening?!? My class flips out with screaming and applauding. After accepting the fact that he was there in my class, I gave him a big hug and then he proceeded to get down on one knee to tell me that he loves me (for the first time!) and then asks me to marry him!!! There was more screaming and roaring in the background with everyone's eyes welling up with tears except my own because I was far too shocked and happy.... but I said YES!!!!! :D

The crazy thing about this whole story is that the Father worked out SO many small details in a way that it testifies that His plans are perfect. For example, Samson had been planning the proposal for weeks, coordinating with my team about logistics, and getting lots of help from them too... all of which I had NO idea about and Samson was also unaware about my wedding lessons! Remember the toilet paper bride game? Samson planned to have a student from that class ask me at noon- "Do you want to marry Samson?" and then turn on 'Canon in D' (he wanted a nice classic background song as a cue for him to come in). However, that student was a bridesmaid for the mock wedding and wasn't able to ask me that question or turn on the song. Yet unknowingly, I started playing the music for the wedding ceremony just at the same time he planned to come in. We both had separate plans for that day, even down to the music being played, but the Father brought both of our plans together to make it the best proposal/class ever!

my fiance and the rock of bling!
me- overwhelmed and shocked!
popping the question :)
group picture with all the witnesses of the big event!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh Jodi, I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face!!!!! I'm sooooo happy for you!!!!! man, that detail about Canon in D playing send shivers down my spine. He is SOOO AWESOME!!!!!!!! What the heck!!!! So did Samson walk in after he heard the music playing, thinking that it was that one student who had turned it on, or was that all just a really big "coincidence"? ;) Man... I love your proposal story SOOOO much!!!!

-Hannah :)

ChocoflanChild said...

=) =) =) =)

Anonymous said...

What a perfect story! I love it! I'm so happy for you my little cousin! My ring is also from Blue Nile! Samson has such great taste :) Super excited for you!! Look forward to seeing you when you're back in the states, please come by the visit!

lots of love,
Jen